This chicken and rice soup takes the idea of an old comfort food and adds an Asian twist to it. Dash a few sprinkles of Shichimi Togarashi onto your soup. If you’re feeling particularly daring, add even more of this spicy condiment to heat your broth up. Recipe by Gill Murray
Yields: 4 servings
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 6 skinless free range chicken thighs
- 4 inch piece of ginger, sliced
- 5 star anise pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 6 cups free range chicken stock
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 shallot thinly sliced (to garnish)
- handful of parsley and cilantro leaves (to garnish)
- Spice Squad Shichimi Togarashi (sprinkle)
1. In a large pot, add the chicken, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, black pepper and coriander seeds and cover with the chicken stock. Bring to a medium heat then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the chicken is tender.
2. Transfer the chicken to a plate and strain the broth through a sieve into a separate bowl. Discard the solids and return the broth to the pot. Over a low heat, add the rice, fish sauce and brown sugar to the pot and simmer until the rice is cooked, approx 15-20 mins.
3. While the rice is cooking, shred the chicken and then return to the pot once the rice is cooked. Season to taste.
4. Divide between bowls and serve with garnishes.