If you’re looking for a simple salad and you love grapefruit, look no further. The combination of the licorice-like star anise with the tangy, sweet citrus flavor of the grapefruit is a marriage waiting to happen. Recipe by the modernproper.com
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 2Large grapefruit
- 1/2 cupSugar
- 1/2 cupWater
- 6Star anise, whole
- Begin by cutting away both of the grapefruit ends.
- Stand the grapefruit up on one of these two flat ends, and—slicing from top to bottom—cut away the peel and pith in strips. Slowly work your way around the fruit until all of the peel and pith has been cut away.
- Slice the peeled fruit crosswise, into lovely little grapefruit rounds.
- In a small sauce pan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a low boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add star anise. Allow the star anise to flavor the simple syrup for 2-4 hours. Can be made ahead of time. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- When ready to serve or eat, use a small sharp knife to peel the rind away from the grapefruit. Slice into pieces and pour a little of the simple syrup over it.